Monash Health is Victoria's largest public health service and is proud to provide healthcare to one quarter of Melbourne's population, across the entire life-span from newborn and children, to adults, the elderly, their families and carers. Monash is synonymous with scientific discovery, award winning clinical practice and many world first innovations in healthcare and is recognised as a leading teaching and research health service of international standing. Monash has a rich heritage of providing health care to the people of Victoria reaching back to the middle of the 1800's and has an exciting roadmap for the future in their relentless pursuit of excellence.
Monash Health are looking to recruit the key hires of the Chief Medical Officer (reporting to the CEO) and the Director Medical Services (reporting to the Chief Medical Officer). Both roles represent an exciting opportunity to build and shape the future of Monash Health during a time when the organisation must evolve to meet the changing health care needs of their community including a significant increase in demand for services due to population growth, an ageing population, increase in chronic illness, new discoveries, new treatments and new technologies, people's changing needs and expectations, and financial constraints.
To appropriately prepare for and deliver their ambitious but achievable plans, Monash Health requires true medical leaders responsible for helping to drive the following very specific expectations.
Director Medical Services
Medical Workforce Planning:
- maintaining an optimal number, seniority and skill mix of medical staff to keep pace with continual service growth
- appropriately balancing fractional appointments and HMOs with registrar and full time senior appointments to ensure optimal clinical, financial and cultural performance
- appropriately balancing age structure, gender and domestic v's overseas trained doctors with the required skills and seniority mix to ensure optimal clinical, financial and cultural performance
- implementing a consistent clinical leadership model and any required review and rationalisation of existing structures
- implementing an appropriate remuneration philosophy and structure
- ensuring medical staff rosters are clinically safe, promoting staff welfare and cost efficiency
Managing Environmental Factors:
- planning for increases in demand and through other services supporting core specialities on site
- maintaining or obtaining accreditation with various Colleges
- experience in interdisciplinary care modelling and clinical practice improvements/innovations
- balancing training requirements with the need to recruit doctors to support service delivery without diluting the experience of trainee registrars to access adequate caseloads, undergo professional development and carry out research
- improving referral pathways and GP liaison and promoting of the concept of shared care
Monash Health's strategic plan is based on five key principles. Leadership is required with respect to:
- patient-centred care
- doctor well-being
- the broad set of competencies required by medical staff
- defined characteristics of high quality education
- shared nature of workplace training utilising a 70:20:10 framework.
- be registered with AHPRA and have appropriate tertiary level qualifications
- have demonstrated senior leadership experience in an acute hospital setting, familiarity with relevant issues in the public health care system and knowledge of the relevant legislation and governance requirements
- be a proven leader with a track record of innovation and process redesign
- ideally have fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Medical Administrators (FRACMA) / be working towards FRACMA or an equivalent health services management qualification
Please click here to download a copy of the detailed executive brief. For more information, please contact Catherine Reidy of Derwent by email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (03) 9691 1314. Please quote job reference # 24478.
Please submit a CV and cover letter (MS Word) to Catherine Reidy of Derwent addressing the abovementioned areas of expertise, please quote reference number # 24458. Applications must be lodged electronically.
Applications close: 27th December 2018.