Western Health’s services comprise of four acute public hospitals: Footscray Hospital, Sunshine Hospital (including Joan Kirner Women's and Children's), Williamstown Hospital and Bacchus Marsh & Melton Hospital. They also operate Sunbury Day Hospital, Hazeldean, Grant Lodge Residential Aged Care, as well as community health centres in Melton, Caroline Springs and Bacchus Marsh and a range of community-based services. The organisation cares for a diverse community of more than 1 million people with complex care needs ranging from Neonates to Geriatrics and their workforce of over 9,000 employees are driven by their values of Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Excellence and Safety’ (CARES). Western Health values their people and provides them the opportunity to grow and develop. Their teams are friendly and supportive, ensuring the delivery of a safe, person-centred and connected patient experience.
The organisation is rapidly expanding with a program of intensive growth and related infrastructure expansion planned over the next four years. Western Health is recognised as a leading teaching and research health service of international standing and provides services across the entire lifespan from paediatrics to adults, the elderly, their families and carers.
The Western Health Operations Directorate is one of the largest and most complex of the portfolios in the organisation. The expenditure budget for the Operational Directorate is approximately $1B which is split across a variety of services, including over 1,008 inpatient beds. The Divisional Director EMA as part of the Operations Directorate leadership team, has carriage of an operating budget of circa $200M.
The division encompasses a broad range of services including 3 Emergency Departments, inpatient services including general medicine, neurology, rheumatology, respiratory and sleep disorders medicine, infectious diseases, dermatology, gastroenterology and endoscopic services. The Divisional Director for EMA also has responsibility for Access and Patient Flow at Western Health and has oversight and responsibility for access to mental health services for Western Health patients.
Against this backdrop and the fact that Western Health is growing at an unprecedented pace, only those from organisations of similar scale and complexity will be appropriate to fulfil the expectations of this position, particularly given the escalating demand. Therefore, deep operational and strategic experience as per the following is required:
- Demonstrated effectiveness as a Senior Health Manager, with proven ability to develop and meet strategic, operational and budgetary objectives.
- Management of a large health division.
- Experience dealing with the complexities of a large diverse organisation.
- A strong record of delivery of patient access KPIs through effective leadership in a substantial organisation.
- A strong record of motivating and developing employees through effective leadership, communication, consultation and development.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, particularly in relation to consultation, influencing and conflict resolution.
- Demonstrated ability to foster a culture that encourages positive working relationships, a safe workplace, financial responsibility, innovation and productivity improvement.
- Proven ability to exercise sound judgement and provide leadership in professional standards and ethics.
- Capacity to be an effective member of the senior operational leadership team, stimulate constructive debate and support colleagues in the achievement of organisational objectives.
- Capability to innovate.
- Capacity and capability to provide a professional role model for staff.
- A commitment to contribute at a strategic level within the Health Service.
For a copy of the Candidate Briefing Document, which includes details on how to apply, please CLICK HERE. For further information, please contact Catherine Reidy (+61 435 285 344) at Derwent Search or email email@example.com
Please send a resume and a brief application letter (no more than 2 pages) addressing the Key Selection Criteria outlined in the Candidate Briefing Document by the due date.
Applications close: Friday, 18th February 2022.