Director of Metropolitan Operations - HSSE Band 1
This role is located in Rozelle, Sydney with a relocation to Homebush in 2022.
- Lead NSW Ambulance’s metropolitan operations network and deliver world class patient care.
- Critical strategic and operational leadership role which impacts the health outcomes of the community.
NSW Ambulance operates a mobile health service for the community of NSW. It provides emergency and non-emergency health care, retrieval and specialist transport services, major event planning and response, and community education. It is one of the largest Ambulance services in the world, serving a population of over 8 million, employing over 6,000 people and 350 volunteers at more than 300 locations across NSW. NSW Ambulance operates a fleet of more than 1,500 Ambulance and other vehicles and has an annual expenditure budget in excess of $1.1 billion.
NSW Ambulance Operations are split across 8 sectors covering metropolitan and regional NSW and are responsible for the delivery of front-line pre-hospital care, medical retrieval and health related transport. Due to an organisational restructure, we are now seeking an outstanding person to lead the metropolitan operations team. The Director Metropolitan Operations reports to the Executive Director Clinical Operations, is responsible for a budget of $260 million and leads a direct team of 6 and a much larger indirect team. In this role, you will:
- Lead and manage all aspects of metropolitan operations, ensuring the highest level of service delivery and clinical standards are achieved, whilst continually enhancing patient experience;
- Provide strategic and operational leadership, determine operational priorities and performance standards and ensure alignment to overall organisational objectives;
- Ensure that all levels of metropolitan ambulance operations have the capacity, capability and structure to respond to emergency and non-emergency requests within agreed performance metrics and budget;
- Manage key IR stakeholders and build collaborative and productive relationships;
- Develop long term strategies and programs to improve the operational efficiency of metropolitan operations, in partnership with the wider NSW Ambulance team, through the adoption of global best practice methodologies;
- Build strong relationships across a variety of key stakeholders including other statewide, national and international emergency services, NSW Ministry of Health, local health districts and other associated agencies;
- Foster a responsive, future focused and contemporary culture which supports staff to deliver true excellence in patient care.
To succeed in this role, you’ll be a contemporary operations leader with significant executive experience managing large, multi-site operations which have a critical customer and patient focus. You’ll ideally have experience working within emergency management or a clinical setting. You’ll be an outstanding communicator able to lead, motivate and inspire your team to be the very best, within a highly challenging and demanding environment. You’ll possess excellent stakeholder skills and a natural ability to influence and engage at all levels.
NSW Ambulance values diversity and is committed to building an inclusive workplace culture that reflects the community it serves. We encourage applications from diverse community groups including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people with a disability.
Applying for this Role
You are required to submit a one page covering letter, including a short statement in response to the two targeted questions below:
- Give a recent example of when you have led a major operational reform within a complex, multi-site setting, ideally citing an example which has an emergency management or clinical component. How did you go about it and what was the outcome?
- Describe how you managed complex stakeholder and industrial relations issues within your organisation, resulting in a positive outcome for all parties.
The successful candidate will have:
- Appropriate tertiary qualifications and/or extensive experience as part of a senior/executive management team in a complex service delivery organisation.
This is an ongoing, full time, Band 1, Health Service Senior Executive (HSSE) role. An attractive remuneration package within the range of $221,305 - $244,935 per annum with annual performance reviews, will be negotiated with the successful applicant.
For further information about the organisation and/or the role, please CLICK HERE to download the Candidate Information Pack.
If you have any questions about this opportunity, please contact Rob Macmillan, Partner Health – Derwent Search or Hannah Majcic at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close: Monday 6th December (11.59pm)
COVID-19 vaccination is now a mandatory requirement for all NSW Health employees. You will be required to provide a record of your COVID-19 vaccination status upon joining to support this recruitment process.
NSW Health values diversity and is committed to building an inclusive workplace culture that reflects the community we serve. We encourage applications from diverse community groups including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, LGBTI, people with a disability and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.