Thank you to our two guest speakers Margie Seale and Clive Stiff for making our first virtual ‘Pathway to the Boardroom’ such a success, speaking to over 130 attendees via Zoom Webinar. Our audience made up of aspiring Non Executive Directors found their insights, experiences and wisdom very valuable, commenting on what a great choice of speakers.
Key takeaways included:
- Joining a board is a very different career to being in a corporate. Your reasons for doing so should be because you’re aligned to that organisation's values, believe you can contribute and ultimately be “addicted to business”.
- A short term panic can sometimes prevail in the immediate lull following a 25 hour a day executive routine.
- It is important to align yourself with great mentor(s) versus obsessive networking.
- If you think being a NED means you can sit back and relax… then let’s hope your board isn’t involved in a takeover which can be a daily whirlwind! You need to be available daily on a board, so flexibility is key.
- You need to work harder on a board to stay on top of what is current because “in the swim of change, the trends and what is happening in the world” this information does not get given to you. You need to access and source this yourself as a NED.
- You live or die by those around your boardroom table. You need to have confidence of your fellow board member's values, know how hard they work, understand their individual contribution and how they help make the board and organisation successful.