Prior to the meeting:
- Test technology in advance – when using equipment or in locations not regularly used:
- Good consistent internet connection is vital. Mobile hotspot if there is limited WIFI coverage and 4G is available
- Learn key VC features through simple online tutorial
- Ensure your device has enough power (or plug it in)
2. Backup communication plan – in the event of technical issues. Mobile hotspot (if plan is suitable). A mobile or speakerphone, and/or online collaboration tool.
3. Perceptions Matter
- Quiet location with little to no background noise
- Professional, clear and clean background
- Dress in business attire – displays respect and professionalism
- Position Camera - needs to be stable and focussed at eye level (otherwise it can be distracting or unflattering)
- Check lighting - Natural lighting and side lighting work best.
3. Follow all invitation instructions – where possible start meeting via link in invitation, noting important supplemental information such as backup phone number and passwords.
4. Mentally prepare – allow enough time prior to the meeting to mentally prepare providing space and time to consider key discussion points or messaging.
5. Arrive Early– dial in at least five minutes early in case of issues. Ensure you can access any necessary information you may need (files/documents).
6. Eliminate distractions – give audience one thing to focus on — YOU. Close extra tabs/programs or notifications may pop up. Ensure private or sensitive information is hidden. Mute mobile phones.